Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Working with Linux

When I first tried out Linux, I divided the the things I usually do with a PC into 4 areas.
  1. Work
  2. Multi-Media
  3. Internet
  4. Games
The first area, work, I could always do with linux ( the first Linux distro I tried by the way was Redhat, I think it was 6 or 7), Multi Media, by downloading a few codecs was fairly accessible, the Internet, because I had a winmodem at that time was virtually impossible and games, I did not even made any attempt to install any games.

As time went by, I was able to make make more of the areas work. Rather than Redhat, I chose to install Mandrake, which had mp3 support built in, which made multi-media support easier, I bought a hardware modem which let me dial-up to my ISP and with wine, I was even able to play Diablo II.

I now use Kubuntu, and we have a DSL connection that makes a lot of the problems I had with Redhat and Mandrake a thing of the past. Updating the kernel and the applications are now automatic and a breeze, installing new applications can be done in a few clicks and Linux supports virtually all network cards so I don't even need to think about hardware modems.

But the one thing that made my conversion to Linux complete is that I have lost a lot of interest in gaming. I don't play a lot of computer games anymore and that made the difference. If I still needed to install the newest games every month, I don't think I would have been able to convert completely.

So what I am saying here, is this. For those who do not play games and would like to save several thousand pesos in software purchases, basically MS Windows and Office, Kubuntu is a good alternative that will fill all your needs.

No comments: