Sunday, March 30, 2008

Censored

I admit it, I'm behind my reading list. I just came across this PDI article about Liveleak hosting a video critical of Islam and the swirling controversy around it. I liked the quote from the Liveleak site
"A person has a simple, clear choice about whether to view this film ... If you click on media simply to be annoyed, it is pointless to blame others for your choice."
Precisely the point. If your a Muslim and do not wish to be offended, then do not watch the film. Unfortunately, there were still people who chose to watch the film and be offended.

Rather than stop watching the film or rebutting the allegations one by one, they preferred no one watches the film altogether. These people threatened the staff of the site so they would remove the offending material. When I tried today to see what the brouhaha was all about, I see this.


Trying to dispel the image of Islam as a violent religion by threatening violence against people seems to me to be counterproductive. But hey, that's just me.

No comments: