Tuesday, March 06, 2007

30 Days with Ubuntu Linux

"Returning to the main thesis of the argument: Will the consumer really switch to Linux over Vista's annoyances? I believe a few will but the majority won't - this isn't an operating system for the easily frustrated. Certainly the group of people who get easily frustrated at the thought of increased DRM in the Vista system and the group of people who would get frustrated at the Linux learning curve probably overlap a great deal.

However, for those who stick it out throughout the learning curve period, the rewards are great.

Linux has some glaring flaws but it also has some amazing capabilities that can't be found anywhere else - at least without spending a hell of a lot of money.

I find that there are some things I just can't do in Linux – notably, gaming and Photoshop. For me, these are two very important tasks. I also find that there's much more that I can do in Linux that I can't in Windows. I'm mostly referring to the vast levels of consumer-oriented free software - software that I often didn't even know existed - whose equivalent often is price-prohibitive for most to obtain for Windows."
read more | digg story

No comments: