Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Installing a Scanner in Kubuntu

Note: For Linux Newbies like me, who are more familiar with installing drivers in Windows, installing drivers in Linux is difficult, we're not familiar with a lot of the processes involved. This is my personal experience trying to install a scanner driver in Kubuntu Linux.

My wife gave me her old scanner, an Genius Colorpage-Vivid 1200xe, about a month ago. When I got it, I immediately attached the scanner to my old PC to test if I can scan something. It did not work, the program I used, Kooka proclaimed that "no scanner was found" and that "Your system does not provide a SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) installation, which is required by the KDE scan support."

I did a little research at that time and it seemed to me that if I have to install SANE in my system, I would need to bein a better frame of mind lest i again hose my system.

Today after several weeks I tried again. Did some more research, found out that I needed the SANE gt68xx backend for my particular scanner. Fortuitously, while trying to install libsane-extras using adept-manager, I found out that the gt68xx backend is already present. I did not need to install the damn thing, I just needed to get my scanner program to recognize it.

Searched some more, found some advice to also install sane, sane utils and xsane and xsane-common, which I did. Trying to scan with xsane gave me a different error message, "Failed to open device 'gt68xx..." Which, with another couple of google searches led me to believe that I need to download the scanner's windows driver and place the CCD569.fw file in the /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/ folder.

I was able to download the driver and was able to install the driver in wine to extract the CCD569.fw file. Unfortunately, the gt68xx folder was read only so I had to copy the CCD569.fw using the the command line. My first attempts using the command 'sudo copy /folder/file /folder/' gave me the 'command does not exit' reaction from the PC, apparently Linux does not recognize the 'copy' command, I had to go back and google the copy command for linux. Which was cp.

Using the cp command, I was able to copy the CCD file to the gt68xx folder and was able to scan my first picture in Linux

kscan_0002b

As more people use Linux, the manufacturers will likely include Linux drivers in their cds and installing scanners will be as easy as it is in Windows. But with a little googling around (making sure that the hardware you buy is supported in Linux), most people can already enjoy using their peripherals in Linux

No comments: